Sunday, December 18, 2011

The Spirit of Adventure

I wasn't really sure what was going to happen when I started getting involved with SWTOR.  Players get companions rather than pets, so technically, that sort of thing shouldn't be covered by this blog.

However, I realized that's not what this blog is truly about.  It's about storytelling and adventure.  The excitement of the hunt with NPC buddies at your side.

And so, I shall be bringing you tales from TOR in addition to those from WoW.

I was sorely tempted to write about my companions from the beta, but somehow, lumping my virtual friends in with my virtual pets just felt wrong.  I'll address them at another time.  For now, I shall discuss the hunt of the objects that have currently captured my fancy: datacrons.

Datacrons are colorful boxes scattered throughout the world that give your character a permanent stat boost to an attribute when interacted with.  Some are well-hidden and require some skill to get to.  My interest was piqued yesterday after discovering one on Taris that involved circling around to the far side of the area to reach.  It was a simple path, just lengthy.  The hunt to find the entrance, though, was quite epic.  And thusly, I was hooked.

I've been using a guide for these other datacrons I've been seeking out, though I try to figure things out a bit on my own once I'm at the starting point.  A few of the ones I've chased have involved some pretty serious jumping....which I am not entirely great at.  Last night, however, I had to get considerably better at it, especially to get the ones on Coruscant!  The precision required to land some of the jumps is incredible and was previously beyond my ability.

What I like most about them is that they're a challenge outside the norm.  It's not about killing; it's about being wily and then executing.  Plus you get to wander into hidden areas via wall walking intentionally.  Win-win situation!

2 comments:

  1. As a avid pet collector in WoW, I am excited to have companions AND pets in SWTOR. I'm gonna have an entourage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hee, yes! The little mouse droids are pretty adorable. :) I need to stock up on credits so I can afford to splurge on one. ;)

    ReplyDelete